Thursday, November 02, 2006

Black-chinned Hummingbird, HY female

Lynne Wiseman emailed me the morning of Wednesday October 25, 2006 with an account of an unusual hummingbird that was still visiting her feeders. She was pretty certain that it was a Black-chinned hummingbird - this would be a state record.
I grabbed the photo gear and arrived at her location at 4PM. Within minutes of setting up the hummer was there. I was able to capture a nice series of images of this lovely bird that evening. These images and a report of my observations can be seen here.
This is certainly a real treat for the eastern panhandle of WV and a very exciting find and ID for Lynne. Lynne is a past student of the PVAS Birding class - I guess that we are better teachers than we thought :)
Wil

Black-chinned hummingbird HY female ©Wil Hershberger Nature Images and Sounds, LLC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home